Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just Finished...




Here is a project that I just finished. The Design is an Homage to Philip Lloyd Powell, George Nakashima, and of course the Shakers.

The cupboard is made from American Black Walnut. The top and bottom of the cupboard are made from scrap wood that almost got thrown away.

I was looking for a really nice cathedral in the grain for the door, so I found a really nice one, centered the board and cut the ends off. I felt really guilty, as I always do with walnut lumber, throwing away the off-cuts. So one day, just by chance, when I was stacking up the wood at the end of the day in the shop I placed the off-cuts on the top and bottom. Bingo! use the off-cuts as the top and bottom. It just came together, as things usually do. Here is the finished product. I will post pictures of the building process in the next couple days.

This project was a lot of fun to build. It was constructed mostly with hand tools. The door knob was turned by hand on the lathe, and the catch was carved by hand. Making the knob and the catch was actually the hardest part of the whole project.





2 comments:

  1. Nice looking cabinet, I like the fact that you used the sap wood, gives the piece more interest.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot man! Just the fact that you looked at it makes me super happy!

    best!

    ReplyDelete